Tuesday, January 25, 2011

German Chocolate Cake

Ok, so me an my hubby we craving a sweet last week. We're trying to be more "healthy" this year....but its just sooooo hard, especially when you have one of THOSE cravings.... And I didn't have ANYTHING in the pantry--not even a boxed brownie mix! EEEK! So I whipped out my cookbooks and went on a hunt. This is what I found. Then we ate it all. In a week. Yup--so much for that "healthy living."

GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE

Chocolate Cake

3 cups sifted flour

6 tablespoons cocoa powder

2 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

2 cup sugar

~Sift all dry ingredients well. Put in large bowl, dig 3 "holes" in the mix. In each hole put in one of the following:

12 tablespoons oil

2 tablespoon vinegar

2 tablespoon vanilla

~Pour 1 cup cold water over all and stir and beat until well blended. Pour in 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 45 to 50 minutes. After it cools for 10 minutes, invert onto cake pan and cool completely before frosting it.

Coconut-Pecan Frosting

1 cup evaporated milk

1 cup sugar

3 egg yokes, lightly beaten

1/2 cup butter

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 1/3 cups flaked coconut

1 cup chopped pecans

~Combine milk,sugar, egg yolks, butter and vanilla in saucepan; cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in coconut and pecans. Beat until frosting is cool and reaches desired spreading consistency. Spread over cake!


By the time I remembered to take a picture, this is all that was left. Thank goodness we gave about a third of it to my neighbors. We're pullin extra work-outs because of it. My hubby did say, this is the BEST German Chocolate Cake....or ANY cake...that he's ever had--and I agree. A-MAZING. The recipe looks kind-of weird, using vinegar and such, but go with it. Trust me. Enjoy =)

3 comments:

Naturally Me Creations said...

Oooooh... :D This is the kind of cravings i have ALL the time! And this cake looks so delicious....i'm gonna take this recipe. :)
But....2 tbs of vanilla?? No recipe i've ever made has used that much, usually only 1 teaspoon. Are we talking vanilla essence here?
Tnx for sharing this yummy looking cake!! :)

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

Sounds like a really good one with the vanilla and vinegar -- must be very moist and light. I'm saving this recipe. Thank you for linking with Joy of Desserts.

Carolina HeartStrings said...

That looks just fantastic. It makes my mouth water just looking at the picture. Yum.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...