Monday, August 15, 2011

Beer Can Chicken

I loved saying "I'm gonna shove a beer can up a chicken's butt." And then I have to admit this is the first time I've done this too! After it was all done, I couldn't believe how good it was. So moist and tender! Can't wait to try this again, and maybe change up the spices.

BEER CAN CHICKEN


2 tsp salt
2 tsp packed brown sugar
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp dried thyme, crushed
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 12-oz can beer
1 3 1/2 to 4-pound broiler-fryer chicken
2 tblsp butter, softened
1 lemon quarter

For rub, combine salt, brown sugar, paprika, dry mustard, thyme, pepper and garlic powder. Discard about 1/2 of the beer from can. Add 1 tsp of the run to the half-empty can--beer will foam up.

Remove neck and giblets from chicken. Sprinkle 1 tsp of the rub inside the the body cavity. Rub outside of chicken with butter and sprinkle with the remaining rub.

Hold chicken upright with opening of the body cavity at the bottom and lower the chicken so the beer can fits into the cavity. Pull chicken legs forward so the bird rests on its legs and the can. Stuff lemon quarter in neck cavity to seal steam in. [if you have a special beer can chicken holder, use it now--we did, made it so much easier!]

INDIRECT grilling. Heat grill on med-high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Turn off the flames for half the grill, and place chicken over the flame-free spot. Cover and cook for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours. Cover with foil if its browning too fast.

Carefully remove chicken from grill, cover chicken with foil and let it stand for 10 minutes. Remove can from chicken and serve.

[Don't skip the part to let the chicken rest--this is what makes it really tender and juicy]

6 comments:

Lisa said...

I've always wanted to try beer can chicken and now you've pushed me over that hump! It looks so goood, I'm thinking next weekend! :)

Unknown said...

I've seen people do this, but have never attempted it myself! It definitely looks delicious, so it may be on the meal plan sometime soon!

Unknown said...

We made something similar to this, but laid the chicken on its side and put beer in the cavity, turning and repeating. It was wonderful, just as this one looks!
http://superfoodsyear.blogspot.com/2011/07/beer-barbecued-chicken.html

sstone said...

I really need to try this also. I've heard that any kind of soda works as well? Thanks for posting. I'm getting hungry just scanning your site. I'll be following.:)

Unknown said...

Fun. I've wanted to try this for a long time too but never have. I need to get after it. thanks for sharing!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Hey Carolyn... Once again, I used a recipe of yours... plenty of linky love!

Thanks again, still loving your blog!

Dave

http://erecipecards.blogspot.com/2011/10/7-up-can-lemon-chicken-ala-bobbis-kozy.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...