Wednesday, February 9, 2011

RAVIOLI

This was a huge experiment for me. Making "pasta" has always been intimidating, but my husband bought me a pasta rolling machine, and when (and if) you have the time, its totally worth it.

One of my favorite cookbooks is "Joy of Cooking," I know, cliche, but as a beginner cook (sort-of! ha!) its a great resource for basic recipes. Like how to make ravioli.

I made this dish for 2 adults and 2 kids, and had plenty of left overs. However, its a lot of work and many times throughout this dish I cursed to myself and wished I just got the store bought stuff. But I also think everyone needs to try this at least once, just so they can appreciate the dish! And its was fantastically delish in the end!

RAVILOI WITH MEAT FILLING
Meat Filling:
Heat, in a skillet over med-high
2 tablespoons butter (or olive oil)
Then add and cook until done:
5 ounces chicken breasts, chopped to pieces
6 to 7 ounces of ground pork
2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon of each salt and pepper
then stir in
1/4 cup dry white wine
Remove from heat and cool.
In a food processor, add the meat mixture wth
1 cup grated parm cheese
4 ounces salami, chopped
3 ounces prosciutto
pinch of nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
Process until finely chopped and well blended. Stir in remaining cheese.

This is a fantastic meat filling! Its easy to double, and then freeze half for later use (thats what I did!!)

The pasta is a bit harder to do....and harder to explain....so here is a picture of the cookbook's explanations:
Then deep fry the ravioli until lightly brown.

Serve with sauce of your choice--I made vodka sauce the previous day and had leftovers, so that is what I used for mine. And that was perfect! Sprinkle a little parm cheese over top--there is no such thing as too much cheese! Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...