Friday, June 22, 2012

Wild Blackberry Bread

Oh yes, you read that right. I was given the pleasure to visit a friend's property and pick all the wild blackberries that I wanted. So at the end, I ended up with a little over 6 pounds. And I just L.O.V.E. it!

WILD BLACKBERRY BREAD




1-1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1-1/2 cups fresh blackberries
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup butter,
melted
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons lemon juice



  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  • In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon. Gently toss in the blackberries.
  • In a different medium bowl, combine sugar and next 5 ingredients and mix until all combined.
  • Add the sugar mixture to the blackberry mixture and gently stir until evenly blended.
  • Pour into a greased loaf pan (8.5"x 4.5"/ normal sized) and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
  • Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes still in the loaf pan, then remove it from the pan and let cool for about an hour.
  • Drizzle icing (recipe below) over top. Slice and serve!
Icing:
In a wire mesh, crush blackberries through the strainer to get the juice without the seeds. You only need about 2 tablespoons of juice, so about 1 cup of blackberries should do the trick. In a small bowl, put about 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Little at a time, add the blackberry juice until its a the right consistency to drizzle over the bread. 

15 comments:

Megan said...

that looks absolutely divine!

Galina Varese said...

Absolutely gorgeous. A true masterpiece

Unknown said...

How do I print the recipe only? Photos would be a nice addition.

Unknown said...

That looks so good I can not wait to try it. It has that melt in your mouth appeal.

Unknown said...

That looks so good I can not wait to try it. It has that melt in your mouth appeal.

Crunchy Christian Mamma said...

It was delish. I used almond milk and 2 tsp. almond extract.

Dedra said...

I have tons of blackberries, and would like to do some early baking.....does this bread freeze well?

Unknown said...

Made this delicious recipe last night! This is a keeper! Moist, just sweet enough and delicious! Thanks for the recipe! Linda

Unknown said...

I am going to make this as soon as my husband gets home to help me pick blackberries :) it looks delicious and I have all the other ingredients on hand, thank you for the recipe :)

Unknown said...

I am going to make this as soon as my husband gets home to help me pick blackberries :) it looks delicious and I have all the other ingredients on hand, thank you for the recipe :)

Unknown said...

Made this today, substituting GLUTEN FREE flour.
Added 1 small individual portion cup of applesauce, and reduced sugar by 1/3.
Baked in 3 small loaf bread pans for 33 minutes.
Before baking, sprinkled small amount of cinnamon /sugar on tops, and added 4 blackberries on top of each pan's portion.
When almost cooled, poked tops several times with a fork, and drizzled the blackberry glaze on top.
TURNED OUT yummy, and served with vanilla ice cream, and the crushed berries the juice was extracted from for the glaze.

Unknown said...

Oh, forgot... I used
1/3 cup Brown sugar,
1/3 cup white sugar
The approximate 1/3 portion of apple sauce

Wish I could send a photo !

Unknown said...

Visiting Washington State this summer. Blackberries EVERYWHERE. Thank goodness I found your site. This recipe is PERFECTION. The lemon rind and fresh lemon juice is what gives it the over the top flavor, I think. I love to bake and I'm always looking for new recipes to try. THIS ONE IS A KEEPER!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for writing this blog. Great information is sharing. If you need Hotmail customer
support number
then you can visit us for help.

Sue Frelick said...

Delicious! This is going directly into my recipe binder.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...