SLOW-COOKER CREAMY CHICKEN w/ BISCUITS
6-7 medium carrots, cut into 1-in pieces
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup flour
1-1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 8)
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
kosher salt and black pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup chicken broth
6 biscuits, split [recipe below]
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a 4 to 6-qt slow cooker, toss together the carrots, celery, onion and flour. Place the chicken on top and season with the poultry seasoning, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Add the wine and broth. Cover and cook until the chicken and veggies are tender, on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
- Thirty minutes before serving, prepare the Easy Drop Biscuits (if using).
- Ten minutes before serving, add the peas, cream and 1/2 tsp salt to the chicken and stir to combine. Cover and cook until heated through, 5-10 minutes more.
- To serve, place the bottom halves of the biscuits in shallow bowls, then top with the chicken minture and the remaining biscuit halves.
EASY DROP BISCUITS
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 Tblsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1 cup whole milk
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In food processor, combine the flour, butter, baking powder and salt. Pulse until pea-size clumps form. Add the milk and pulse just until moistened.
- Drop 6 large mounds of the dough onto a baking sheet. Bake until golden, 18 to 20 minutes.
recipe directly from Real Simple "Easy, Delicious Home Cooking" magazine, Fall 2012/Winter 2013