BEEF & BLACK BEAN CHILI
1/4 cup olive oil
2 pounds beef, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large red onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoons ancho chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 bottle dark beer
5 cups chicken stock, or canned low-sodium or water
1 (16-ounce) can chopped tomatoes, drained and pureed
1 tablespoon honey
2 cups cooked or canned black beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat. Season the beef with salt and pepper, and saute until browned on all sides. Transfer the meat to a plate and remove all but 3 tablespoons of the fat from the pan.
- Add the onions to the pan and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the ancho powder, pasilla powder, and cumin and cook an additional 2 minutes. Add the beer and cook until completely reduced.
- Return the beef to the pot, add the chicken stock, tomatoes and honey, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, cover the pan, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the beans and continue cooking for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the lime juice, and adjust seasonings.
AVACADO RELISH2 ripe Hass avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
1/2 red onion, finely diced
Salt and pepper
Cilantro leaves, chopped
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper.
CUMIN SOUR CREAM
8 oz sour cream
1 tsp cumin
- Mix sour cream and cumin together in small bowl.
- Serve a dollop in each bowl of chili.
recipe derived from FoodNetwork.com Bobby Flay