5 cups quick cooking oats
2 cups chocolate rice crisp
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 (15 ounce) can of pumpkin
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup light or dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup sliced almonds
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Place two oven racks on the top and bottom 1/3 of the oven. Preheat the oven to 300°. Set aside two baking sheets with sides lined with a silpat, liner, parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, combine both oats, brown rice crisp and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a separate bowl, combine the canned pumpkin, honey, brown sugar, canola oil and vanilla extract.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Pour the granola on the baking sheets, splitting evenly between the two baking sheets. With a silicone spatula (or any other flat tool), push down the granola to make a compact, flat and even layer of granola.
- Place the baking sheets in the oven for 20 minutes (one on the top, one on the bottom).
- While that is in the oven, chop your nuts and combine them in a bowl and set aside.
- With a large spatula flip over the granola, cut the larger clumps in half and add the nuts to the baking sheet.
- Bake for another 20 minutes stir around and break up any clumps that wouldn’t fit in one bite.
- Bake for a final 20-30 minutes, until completely dry and golden brown. Let the granola cool completely on the baking sheets.
recipe from Chocolate & Carrots September 2011