EASY COQ AU VIN
(low-calorie: about 326 per serving)
1 8-oz package mushrooms, halved
4 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1-1/2 cups frozen pearl onions [or 1 white onion, cut into big chunks]
Non-stick cooking spray
5 to 6 large cooking thighs, skin removed
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 cup dry red wine [or red cooking wine]
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 Tblsp tapioca
2 Tblsp red wine vinegar
1-1/2 tsp herbes de Provence
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tblsp fresh parsley, chopped
4 cups hot cooked whole grain wide noodles
- In a 4-5qt slow cooker, combine mushrooms, carrots, and onions. Set aside.
- Lightly coat a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Sprinkle both sides of chicken thighs with 1/4 tsp of the salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Add chicken thighs to skillet, meaty sides down. Cook about 6 minutes or until brown, turning once. Add chicken to cooker.
- Add wine to skillet; bring to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer for 2 minutes, using a wooden spoon to scrape up brown bits from bottom and sides of skillet. Remove from heat. Stir in broth, tapioca, vinegar, herbes de Provence, garlic, the remaining 1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Pour over chicken in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 5-1/2 hours or on high-heat setting for 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 hours. [I recommend the high-heat setting. The carrots will still have a little bit of a bite to them still!]
- Sprinkle with parsley; serve with noodles.
recipe from Better Homes and Gardens "Skinny Slow Cooker" magazine, 2013