RISOTTO with PROSCIUTTO,
MUSHROOMS & PEAS
6-8 cups chicken broth
4 tblsp butter, divided
3 tblsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
1 yellow onion, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 lb mushrooms, sliced
2 cups Arborio rice
10 oz frozen peas, defrosted
1/2 cup rich and creamy Mascarpone
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano, plus shaving for garnish
8 oz prosciutto (about 12 slices), each slice cut into 3 long pieces (reserve a few pieces for garnish)
3 tblsp chopped fresh parsley
salt & pepper
- In a saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. [be careful, it will overflow in a flash!]
- In a dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons EVOO over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic; saute until soft, then remove from the pan and set aside. Add 2 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon EVOO to the pan. Add the mushrooms and saute until soft and just brown. Set aside with the onions and mushrooms.
- Add rice to the pan, stirring constantly to prevent sticking. Add a large ladleful of hot chicken broth, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring, until all the liquid is absorbed. Continue the process, adding broth one ladleful at a time. After 20 minutes, add peas, mushrooms and onions. Continue to add broth and cook until the rice is tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in Mascarpone, grated cheese and prosciutto. Add parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Garish with shaved Parm cheese and reserves prosciutto. Serve Immediatly.
- Serves 4-6.
Substitute for the Mascarpone cheese:
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
2-1/2 tablespoons sour cream
8 oz cream cheese (not the lowfat)
Recipe derived from "A Decade of Cooking The Costco Way" recipe book