Monday, July 25, 2011

Eggplant Parmesan

My in-laws also brought with them big, fresh, gorgeous eggplants! I didn't really know what to do with them, so they suggested making the traditional "eggplant Parmesan." I was pretty skeptical about it, but I tried it. And I was SO glad I did. Sorry the pictures aren't that great, it was a rainy day so I had no natural light for it..don't let that scare ya away =D

EGGPLANT PARMESAN
Click HERE for printable recipe

Ingredients:
2 large eggplants
kosher salt
28 oz whole peeled tomatoes (I used the ones we just canned--eggggggcellent!)
1 garlic clove, minced
olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumbs (*I made my own, and so glad I did! See note below)
4 large eggs, beaten
1 1/2 lbs of fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced to 1/4 inch rounds
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 packed cup fresh basil leaves (these were from  my garden as well)

Directions:
Prepare tomato sauce. Combine tomatoes, garlic and 1/3 cup olive oil in a food processor. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.

Cut eggplant lengthwise into 1/4 in slices.

In a wide shallow bowl, combine flour and breadcrumbs. Mix well. Pour beaten eggs into another wide shallow bowl.

Place a large deep skillet over medium heat, and pour in a half inch of olive oil. When oil is shimmering, dredge the eggplant into hot oil and fry until golden brown on both sides, turning once. Drain on paper towels.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In the bottom of a 9x13-inch glass baking dish, spread 1 cup of tomato sauce. Top with 1/3 of the eggplant slices. Top eggplant with half of the mozzarella slices. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the Parmesan and half the basil leaves.

Make a second layer of eggplant slices, topped by 1 cup of sauce, remaining mozzarella, half the remaining Parmesan  and all the remaining basil. Add remaining egg plant and top with the remaining tomato sauce and Parmesan.

Bake until cheese has melted and the top is slightly brown, about 30 minutes. Allow to rest at room temp for about 10 minutes before serving.

Serves 8.

**for fresh breadcrumbs, put a few slices of white bread in your food processor and pulse until its at the consistency you'd like. If you plan ahead enough, toast and let them cool first.

close-up picture of the cooked eggplant
recipe adapted from Simply Recipes http://simplyrecipes.com

Click HERE for printable recipe

Other Eggplant Parmesan recipes from blogs I like and follow
Skinny on a Dime Allrecipes.com Cooking with Libby Cooking light

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment:

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

Exactly how I learned to make eggplant Parmesan from my Italian sis in law. Only difference, instead of breadcrumbs, I use dry cream of wheat or farina. It gives it a nice crunch. Susan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...