Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Pork Tonkatsu with Watermelon-Tomato Salad

Put your aprons on--this one is a doosie! Actually, the process is very simple...the FLAVOR is what will blow your mind!


~This is Japan's take on schnitzel~
PORK TONKATSU
w/ WATERMELON-TOMATO SALAD




2 cups 1/2-inch cubed watermelon [I used a melon-baller and cut them in half]
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
2 cups baby arugula
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves [mine were fresh from my garden!]
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tblsp Dijon mustard, divided
1 tblsp fresh lemon juice plus 4 lemon wedges
1/2 tsp kosher salt and 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper plus more
2 large eggs
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
4 4-oz boneless center-cut pork chops, pounded to 1/8-inch thickness [mine weren't that thin, and I wish I made them even thinner! When in doubt--pound some more]
6 tblsp vegetable oil, divided

Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk olive oil, 1 tblsp mustard, and juice in a small bowl. Season  dressing with salt and pepper. Set salad and dressing aside. [I had more salad than watermelon and tomatoes, but that is our preference. The first bite of this salad with dressing and watermelon and tomatoes...you won't ever forget it!]

Whisk eggs and 1 tblsp mustard in a medium bowl. Combine panko, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper on a large plate. Season pork lightly with salt and pepper. Dip in egg mixture, then in panko, pressing to adhere. [I skipped putting the s&p in the panko crumbs, and just put a little more on the chops themselves]

Working in 2 batches, heat 2 tblsp veg oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook pork until golden brown and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.

Toss salad with dressing; season to taste with s & p. Serve pork with salad and lemon wedges for squeezing over. [I also served with mashed potatoes, and it was perfect!]




recipe adapted from Bon Appetit magazine, July 2011 edition

13 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds really yummy! I am a huge fan of German Schnitzel, so I will have to try out this recipe!

I am a new follower from Follow Me Back Tuesday 8) Lovin Life

Danielle said...

I gave you The Irresistibly Sweet Blog Award
come check it out
http://giveawayjunkie.blogspot.com/2011/07/i-won-irresistibly-sweet-blog-award.html

Amy said...

I have decided that Panko makes everything taste better ;D I adore this stuff.

Unknown said...

Oh my husband would love this! He loves pork cooked like this and he only gets it from his Grandma!! I am not brave enough to try her recipe!! Thanks for the recipe idea and for linking up to 2 Maids a Baking!!

KB and Whitesnake said...

Yummy. Looks really good.

Claire Justine said...

These look yummy,i'm a new follower from Tuesday Train blog hop :)
http://clairejustineoxox.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Following via i love blogging blog hop :)

http://fuyume.net

Ondria Witt said...

Hi! I'm your newest follower hopping over from Welcome Wednesday! Looks yummy! Hope you'll stop by and follow back if you have the chance!
http://www.wittyones.blogspot.com.

Gifts By Katherine said...

Yummy! Happy I hopped over. Hugs!

Katherines Corner said...

looks delish. Hopping over to leave some ♥ on your blog

Kimberley said...

Good morning! New follower from Welcome Wednesday. This dish looks great, thanks for sharing! Drop on by and see me if you get the chance, thanks!

Kimberley
http://davisdailydose.blogspot.com/

Blended said...

Love your blog! Following you from the Welcome Wednesday Blog Hop! http://www.blended.typepad.com

Braden said...

Tasty. I've been making something similar with turkey cutlets over the last couple weeks. Really hitting the spot for the summer.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...