PB & J THUMBPRINTS
2/3 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla
1-1/2 cups flour
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 cup cocktail peanuts, chopped finely
Creamy Peanut butter
Jar of grape jelly
- In a large bowl, beat butter with electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add sugar. Beat until combined. Then beat in egg yolks and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with mixer, then mix in the remaining by hand.
- Cover and chill for about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease cookie sheets.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll ball in beaten egg white and then roll in chopped peanuts.
- Place balls 1-inch apart on cookie sheets. Using your thumb, make indentation in each dough ball.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until bottoms are brown. Transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
- Fill each thumbprint with 1/2 teaspoon creamy peanut butter and then with 1/2 teaspoon grape jelly. Serve immediately.
If saving for later use, store cookie without the filling in the middle stacked in an air-tight container with wax paper between layers.
The recipe is from Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest magazine Dec 2011 edition