LAMB & FETA STUFFED BELL PEPPERS
1 tblsp olive oil
1 medium white onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
4-5 medium bell peppers, any color
2 tblsp fresh dill, chopped
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 cup cooked rice
1 lb ground lamb
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 cup tomato sauce
1 cup cold water
1 tblsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp white granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat old in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 4-5 minutes or until just tender. Add in garlic and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Slice top off peppers and remove seeds. Stand peppers upright in a square baking dish, or rectangle if using more than 4 peppers.
- In a large bowl, combine onion mixture, dill, salt, allspice and pepper. Mix in rice and lamb then fold in feta cheese. Stuff peppers with mixtures.
- Mix tomato sauce with water, lemon juice and sugar. Pour over peppers allowing enough to pool in dish. Cover in foil.
- Bake peppers for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for additional 15 minutes, basting with sauce every 15 minutes. Make sure internal temperatures reach at least 165 degrees F. Serve hot.