Monday, June 27, 2011

Daring Bakers Challenge: Baklava

Erica of Erica’s Edibles was our host for the Daring Baker’s June challenge. Erica challenged us to be truly DARING by making homemade phyllo dough and then to use that homemade dough to make Baklava.

I've made Baklava before, so this challenge wasn't really my thing to repeat. Oh it was spectacular in every bite--but that was the issue. I. Ate. Every. Bite. And I have/had nothing coming up to take it to. I'm trying to loose weight. Not gain it. I understand the challenge and appreciate every part!


He is my past posted recipe for Baklava.


DARING BAKERS CHALLENGE
BAKLAVA



1 (16oz) package fillo dough
1 lb (16oz) chopped pecans
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup butter, melted
1 cup water
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup honey

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter the bottoms and sides of a 9x13-inch pan.

Chop pecans then toss with cinnamon. Set aside.

Unroll 1 package fillo dough (or phyllo, depends on brand). Cover with dampened cloth to keep from drying out so quickly as you work. Place 2 sheets of dough in pan, butter thoroughly. Repeat until you have 8 sheets layered.

Sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of nut mixture on top. Top with 2 sheets of dough, butter, nuts, layering as you go.

Top layer should be 8 sheet deep (buttered between every 2)

Using a sharp knife, cut squares (or diamond shapes) all the way to the bottom of the pan.

Bake for 50 minutes until the baklava is golden and crisp.

Make sauce while baklava is baking. Boil sugar and water until sugar is melted. Add vanilla and honey. Simmer for about 20 minutes.


Remove baklava from oven and immediately spoon sauce over it. Let cool. Serve in cupcake papers. Leave uncovered (it will get soggy if it is wrapped up)


12 comments:

Jane said...

Stopping by from mmbh! Wow, this looks amazing! And surprisingly simple compared to the work I would have thought went into baklava.

shelley c. said...

Your baklava looks wonderful - I'd gladly have taken a few pieces off your hands... you know, in the name of helping you out... :) Seriously, good work on this challenge!!

Anonymous said...

Mmm your baklava looks really amazing too, love it.Thank you for stopping by.

Mary said...

It looks amazing, and that was a smart decision not to make any more. Nobody else around here likes baklava, and I ate all of mine! It was a little pan, but still!
:)

Erik said...

Well, it may have been a past post, but it looks just great!

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

It looks really good. ;-)

Please Do Not Feed The Animals. said...

Your previous attempt looks beautiful and I completely support your reasons for not making any more! Good on you for being sensible and not giving in to temptation.

Anonymous said...

Perfect that you already made it, and since you're trying to lose weight, no temp--tation, except in photos from the time you did make it LOL I have to say, they turned out beautiful..some of the most perfect looking baklava I've ever seen, and the photos are so sharp and awesome! Well done on a challenge you didn't have to eat this time ;)

Sweetie1313 said...

Wow! You did an amazing job on these! Way to go! :)
Feel free to visit us:

http://helpfuldaddy.blogspot.com

Valérie said...

Great job! It looks perfectly crisp!

Catalina said...

I tried to lose weight for summer but it seems to be impossible because I always find something too tasty to avoid and this time it was baklava :) Yours looks so yummy that I'm glad I don't have mine any more otherwise I'd have to eat a piece right now, so mouth watering your photos are! Beautiful!

Unknown said...

I wish I had used store bought phyllo dough! Making it homemade sucked! Your baklava looks delicious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...