Friday, June 3, 2011

FBF #2: Nanny's Banana Pudding

FLASH BACK FRIDAY LINKZ is below the Banana Pudding recipe!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This recipe has been in our family for generations. Its my brother's all time favorite thing! My Nanny (grandmother) has been making this for like.....FOREVER. =) And its taken many years to actually get it down to perfection. Now when I visit, she asks me to make it. So I'm going to share it now.

NANNY'S BANANA PUDDING


1 box Nilla wafers
6 bananas, cut into slices
1 large box of [jell-o] instant Vanilla pudding
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, room temp
3 cups milk
2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Whisk the heavy cream with sugar and vanilla to make "home-made" whipped cream. Or use a pre-made tub of whipped cream--but it tastes a lot better with the homemade stuff!

In a large bowl (I use my stand mixer) pour in sweetened condensed milk and add cream cheese. Beat until its all smooth (no lumps). Add in pudding and milk and mix until well blended. Then fold in half of the whipped cream BY HAND.

In a truffle bowl, put a layer of Nilla wafers on bottom. I like making a "neat" layer of the wafers, then crumble up a bunch to fill in all the gaps. Then top with half of the sliced up bananas. Pour half of the pudding mix. Put in the fridge just for a few minutes to firm it up. Then do the layering all over again. After pouring in the last of pudding mix, top with the rest of the whipped cream. Line the edges with more Nilla wafers and crumbles on top as well. Refrigerate for a few hours. [Its best to sit overnight, in my opinion]

The key is the sweetened condensed milk. You can get the low-fat and same with the cookies and cream cheese. That little difference doesn't change any of the over-all flavor. But I say: just go all out! =D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FLASH BACK LINKY is up again! Please welcome my co-host Micha from Cookin' Mimi



Follow Cookin' for my Captain and Cookin Mimi  on GFC [Google Friend Connect] and then Link away!
  • Use your permalink which is the link in your browser’s address bar.
  • Link back to Cookin’ for My Captain, Cookin’ Mimi or both if you’d like.
  • Please only 1 or 2 entries.
  • Visit and comment on the other entries. Spread some comment love.
  • By entering your link on one blog it will show up on both.

5 comments:

aimee said...

That looks really yummy! I have an award for you in my blog.

Amanda Starr said...

Definitely trying this one! One of the best things about the south is banana pudding!

I'm a new blogger and would love for you to visit my page!

http://starrsavings.blogspot.com

Kim McCallie said...

We Southern girls love our banana pudding! It looks delicious - perfect way to chill down after a hot summer day. Thanks for sharing on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/06/sweet-indulgences-sunday-7.html

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

Wonderful. You should post your grandmother's recipe on Vintage Recipe Thursday. It's meant to preserve these wonderful family recipes. Vintage cookbook recipes are also welcome.

Unknown said...

Looks yummy! I love those old family recipes. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...